Code of Conduct for the Direct Selling Agents (DSAs)
Sr. No. Subject
2. Tele-calling a prospect
3. When you may contact a prospect on telephone
4. Can the prospect’s interest be discussed with anybody else?
Leaving messages and contacting persons other than the prospect
5. No misleading statements/mis-representations permitted
6. Telemarketing Etiquettes
7. Gifts or Bribes
8. Precautions to be taken on visits / contacts
9. Other important aspects – Appearance & Dress Code
10. Handling of letters & other communication
11. Declaration – Cum – Undertaking
Model Code of Conduct for the Direct Selling Agents (DSAs) is a non-statutory code
issued by Indian Banks’ Association, a voluntary association of Banks in India for adoption
and implementation by DSAs while operating as Agents of Banks and Financial
Upon adoption and inclusion as part of agreement between XXXBank and the DSA, this
code will apply to all persons involved in marketing and distribution or any loan or other
financial product of the XXXBank. The Direct Selling Agent (DSA) and its Tele-
Marketing Executives (TMEs) & field sales personnel, namely, Business Development
Executives (BDEs) must agree to abide by this code prior to undertaking any direct
marketing operation on behalf of the bank. Any TME/BDE found to be violating this code
may be blacklisted and such action taken be reported to the bank from time to time by the
DSA. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in permanent blacklisting by the
A declaration to be obtained from TMEs and BDEs by the DSAs before assigning then
their duties is annexed to this Code.
2.0 Tele-calling a prospect (a prospective customer)
A prospect is to be contacted for sourcing a bank product or bank related product only
under the following circumstances:
The TME should not call a person whose name/number is flagged in any “do not disturb” list made available to him/her.
3.0 When you may contact a prospect on telephone
Telephonic contact must normally be limited between 0930 Hrs and 1900 Hrs. However, it
may be ensured that a prospect is contacted only when the call is not expected to
Calls earlier or later than the prescribed time period may be placed only under the
When the prospect has expressly authorized TME/BDE to do so either in
writing or orally
4.0 Can the prospect’s interest be discussed with anybody else?
DSA should respect a prospect’s privacy. The prospect’s interest may normally be
discussed only with the prospect and any other individual/family member such as
prospect’s accountant/secretary/spouse, authorized by the prospect.
4.1 Leaving messages and contacting persons other than the prospect.
Calls must first be placed to the prospect. In the event the prospect is not available, a
message may be left for him/her. The aim of the message should be to get the prospect to
return the call or to check for a convenient time to call again. Ordinarily, such messages
may be restricted to:
“Please leave a message that XXXXX (Name of officer) representing XXXBank called
and requested to call back at ZZZZZZ (phone number)”
As a general rule, the message must indicate:
5.0 No misleading statements/misrepresentations permitted
TME/BDE should not –
6.0 Telemarketing Etiquettes
No calls prior to 0930 Hrs or post 1900 Hrs unless specifically requested.
- No serial dialing
- No calling on lists unless is cleared by team leader
- Identify yourself, your company and your principal
- Request permission to proceed
- If denied permission, apologize and politely disconnect.
- State reason for your call
- Always offer to call back on landline, if call is made to a cell number
- Never interrupt or argue
- To the extent possible, talk in the language which is most comfortable to the prospect
- Keep the conversation limited to business matters
- Check for understanding of “Most Important Terms and Conditions” by the customer
if he plans to buy the propect
- Reconfirm next call or next visit details
- Provide your telephone no, your supervisor’s name or your bank officer contact details
if asked for by the customer.
- Thank the customer for his/her time
- Customers who have expressed their lack of interest for the offering should not be
called for the next 3 months with the same offer
- Provide feedback to the bank on customers who have expressed their desire to be
flagged “Do Not Disturb”
- Never call or entertain calls from customers regarding products already sold.
Advise them to contact the Customer Service Staff of the bank.
7.0 Gifs or bribes
TME/BDE’s must not accept gifts from prospects or bribes of any kind. Any TME/BDE offered a bribe or payment of any kind by a customer must report the offer to his/her management.
8.0 Precautions to be taken on visits/contacts
· Respect personal space – maintain adequate distance from the prospect.
· Not enter the prospect’s residence/office against his/her wishes;
· Not visit in large numbers – i.e. not more than one BDE and one supervisor,
· Respect the prospect’s privacy.
· If the prospect is not present and only family members/office persons are present
at the time of the visit, he/she should end the visit with a request for the prospect to call back.
· Provide his/her telephone number, supervisor’s name or the concerned bank
officer’s contact details, if asked for by the customer.
· Limit discussions with the prospect to the business – Maintain a professional distance.
9.0 Other important aspects – Appearance & Dress code
BDE’s must be appropriately dressed –
For men this means
- Well ironed trousers:
- Well ironed shirt, shirt sleeves preferably buttoned down.
For women this means
- Well ironed formal attire (Saree, Suit etc.);
- Well groomed appearance.
Jeans and/or T shirt, open sandals are not considered appropriate.
10.0 Handling of letters & other communication
Any communication sent to the prospect should be only in the mode and format approved
by the Bank.
to be obtained by the DSA form TMEs/BDEs employed by them
Re: Code of Conduct
I am working in your company as a __________________. My job profile, inter-alia,
includes offering, explaining, sourcing, and assisting documentation of products and linked
services to prospects of XXXbank.
In the discharge of my duties, I am obligated to follow the Code of Conduct attached to this
I confirm that I have read and understood and agree to abide by the Code of Conduct. I
further confirm that the trainer mentioned below has explained the contents in full to me.
In case of any violation, non-adherence to the said Code, you shall be entitled to take such
action against me as you may deem appropriate.
Signed on this_______________day of _______________ 20___
Signature of Trainer Name Company
This site is best viewed in Internet Explorer 6
with resolution 1024x768